MLK Day of Service 2016
THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS FOR SERVING ON MLK DAY, JANUARY 18, 2016!
The Montgomery County Volunteer Center thanks the thousands of volunteers who served all across Montgomery County in honor of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service. Check out this video from Montgomery Community Media for a view of the action! More than 4,000 volunteers served at various locations, working on projects organized by more than 60 organizations. Here are just a few of the projects completed:
Bethesda North Marriott Conference Center
- Joined Mid-Atlantic Federal Credit Union and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc in packaging 80,000 meals (600 volunteers) for the Hunger Free Zone, which will be distributed by Manna Food Center
- Hosted a Sole Hope closed-toe shoe cutting for children in Africa to help protect their feet from jiggers
- Created no-sew children blankets for Syrian Refugee families
- Make "Be Happy Don't Worry" dolls for John Hopkins Children Center
- Write letters and cards and make paracord bracelets for Veterans and active Military members
- and more! See the event handout for a list of projects and volunteer fair participants
Seneca Creek Community Church
- Prepared breakfasts and lunches for Gude Men’s Shelter
- Made cards for troops and seniors
- Made small cards with inspirational messages for mothers to be packed with baby bundles
- Made dog toys for animal shelters
- and more!
Silver Spring Civic Center
- Joined Delta Sigma Theta Sorrorityin packaging 20,000 meals (200 volunteers), which will be distributed by Manna Food Center
- Created thank you for your service cards for wounded veterans
- Make beaded bracelets for Pediatric patients for Holy Cross Hospital
- Assemble hygiene kits for the homeless
- Made birthday cards for children in foster care
- and more!
View the pictures of projects throughout the entire MLK weekend! Send us your pictures to email@example.com.
Thank you to our Sponsors and Partners!