What Does "SSL Approved" Mean?
What does it mean to say an organization and volunteer opportunity are "Approved" for Student Service Learning by Montgomery County Public Schools?
Organizations that have the SSL icon associated with their account have :
- Registered with the Montgomery County Volunteer Center.
- Sent a representative to an orientation where the MCPS SSL guidelines were explained.
- Signed an Organization Responsibility and Assurance Document.
- Tax exempt status from the IRS
- Provided proof of general liability insurance coverage
- Agreed to-
o Provide activities that are secular in nature. If you are a faith organizations, click to see more details on SSL in Faith Organizations
o Advise students of the need that will be addressed, overall expectations, and safety information.
o Cover the SSL phases of preparation, action and reflection.
o Supervise all activities in public places not private homes.
o Not involve door-to-door neighborhood canvassing or telephone solicitation.
o Evaluate student performance at regular intervals and share evaluation with student.
o Maintain log and verify service on MCPS Form 560-51 Student Service Learning Activity Verification according to program timelines.
o Award 1 SSL hour for every hour of service. (Maximum 8 hours within a 24 hour period).
o Comply with all federal, state, and local laws that forbid discrimination on the basis of race, creed, sex, age, disability, religion, and/or national origin.
o Prohibit verbal abuse, threats, physical violence or sexual harassment directed against others.
Approved for SSL by MCPS does NOT include
- Site visit by MCPS or Volunteer Center personnel;
- Background check by MCPS or Volunteer Center personnel.
Parent and/or Guardian can contact individual organizations to verify safety and background check information. It is the responsibility of parents and guardians to determine if an organization or service opportunity is appropriate and safe for their child.